July 10th 2021 marks the 200th Anniversary of Florida becoming a United States Territory. To commemorate this occasion, The Historic Florida Militia along with its partners, the City of St. Augustine, the University of Florida and the Fountain of Youth Archeological Park will present a weekend long event. Starting on Friday, July 9th and continuing through Saturday, July 10th, there will be a 19th Century Historical encampment at the Fountain of Youth. There will be free entrance from 9 am – 5 pm to the encampment from Myrtle Ave. The Change of Authority commemoration will be commence on July 10th, at 11:00 am at the Governor’s House Museum. Visitors will witness the signing of documents and Keys to the City will be exchanged. The entire group of military, dignitaries and townspeople dressed as they would have been in 1821, will proceed to the “Change of Flags” ceremony which will include cannon and musket firing.
This was a one time event to celebrate Florida’s entry into the United States as a territory
- Schedule of Events:
- Friday, July 10th, 2021:
- 9:00am to 5:00pm – Encampment open to the public (free admission from the Myrtle St. entrance or with paid admission to the Fountain of Youth Archeological park).
- Saturday, July 10th, 2021:
- 9:00am to 10:30am – Encampment open to the public.
- 11:00am – “Act of Transfer” Ceremony at the Government House.
- 11:20am – March to the National Guard Parade Grounds.
- 11:45am – “Change of Flags” Ceremony.
- 12:00pm to 1:00pm Photos and Interactions with the public.
- 1:00pm to 5:00pm – Encampment open to the public.